The idea of a Polish School was born in 1911, but it was not until February 12, 1915, thanks to the initiative of Stanisław Kowalczyk, that the school actually came into existence. The first official name was: School of the Polish Educational Council.
Initially the classes were held at the Polish National Home located on East 15th Street at that time. When the number of students greatly increased, the school was transferred to larger facilities in a Public School on 2nd Avenue, and shortly thereafter to Washington Irving High School at Irving Places at 16th Street. Since 1971 classes have been conducted at the Parochial School of St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr Parish at 101 East 7th Street, New York, NY. Efforts to establish the school were made under difficult circumstances. There are no documented records of such activities. If any efforts were made by the immigrants here prior to World War I, there were brief and without lasting influence on the education of Polish children. Therefore, we can proudly confirm that the Polish Supplementary School at St. Stanislaus B.M. Church is today one of the oldest Polish Supplementary School in the United States. It was the “seed” from which grew the idea of Polish Supplementary Schools throughout the United States.
On October 8, 1994, the school came under the jurisdiction of St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr Parish and changed its name for Fr. Augustine Kordecki Polish Supplementary School. Fr. A. Kordecki was a famous defender of Jasna Góra during the Swedish Deluge. It was also the end of existence of the School of Educational Council. Mrs. Alicja Kot was appointed a Director of the new school and she served until 2009. Since then, Ms. Beata Popowska serves as a school principal. Since School of Father A. Kordecki is a part of the parish, its activities are based on close collaboration with the parish and the parish pastor supervises the school’s performance. Fr. Lucius Tyrasinski was the pastor from 1994 to 1996, followed by Fr. Krzysztof Wieliczko (till 2002), then Fr. Lucius Tyrasinski returned and served as a pastor from 2002 until 2006. In November 2006, Fr. Mikołaj Bogdan Socha became a new pastor and he served until November 2011. From November 2011 till November 2017 Fr. Tadeusz Lizińczyk served as a pastor and from that time, Fr. Rafał Kandora has been a pastor and administrator of Polish School. For this reason, in reference to the Pauline coat of arms, the school’s logo contains the raven with a loaf of bread in its beak.
Currently, there are approximately 100 students in Fr. Augustine Kordecki Polish Supplementary School. They commute not only from Manhattan but also from Queens, Brooklyn, Long Island, and New Jersey. There are 10 teachers, including two of the Pauline Fathers who teach religion education classes. Classes are held every Saturday from 10:00 to 14:30. The school has a kindergarten and elementary school.
Fr. Augustine Kordecki Polish Supplementary School is a member of Polish Supplementary School Council of America.